Re: Problem on PostgreSQL - creating database

ti, 2004-08-17 kello 13:49, Marius Andreiana kirjoitti:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 12:28 +0300, Jarkko Elfving wrote:
> > I've created a database cluster with initdb and it was succesfully
> > created. After that I tried to create a database with createdb -command,
> > but it replys like this:
> >
> > jarelf]$ createdb -D /home/jarelf/dbCluster/mydb -O jarelf
> >
> > createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  user "jarelf"
> > does not exist
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> Error message is clear: user "jarelf" does not exist
>
> detail:
> [marius@marte tables]$ createdb --help
> createdb creates a PostgreSQL database.
>
> Usage:
>   createdb [OPTION]... [DBNAME] [DESCRIPTION]

>   -O, --owner=OWNER         database user to own the new database
>
> solution:
> as root:
> su - postgres
> createuser jarelf
>

> --
> Marius Andreiana
> Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania
> http://www.galuna.ro

Thanks a lot! It works!

But... now when I'm building up that database, does it locate in to my
spicified location or somewhere else?

And what I mean at specified location? .../dbCluster/

Which command I can find it where it did go? And if I should move it to
somewhere else (or if I do a SQL-based program exp. with Java) can I use
that database without PostgreSQL services?

Lot's of stupid questions but I'm now so exciting of this :D

--
Jarkko Elfving
Suomi - Finland

[UK/US] This mail has been digitally signed and you can download the
public-key from these servers from the list:

http://subkeys.pgp.net
pgp-public-keys@xxxxxxxxxxxx