KDE Menu Editor (Strange Happenings)

Hi, Y'All
I recently installed FC2 on an old IBM Aptiva that I had hanging around. When I did so, my KDE menu contained an entry for gnome-system-monitor (System Monitor) under "System Tools". I was very happy, because while I generally prefer KDE to gnome, I did like the gnome-system-monitor tool. However, one unhappy day the menu entry for System Monitor disappeared. Now, I can still start the monitor manually, but being a point-and-click kind of guy I wanted my beloved menu entry back again. I went into the KDE Menu Editor and added a new entry to the System Tools submenu, entered the application path and other such goodies, and saved the menu. After exiting the menu editor no changes were evident. "Aha", says I, "I have to reinit the KDE desktop." So I logged off and back on. No change. I rebooted. No change. I'd be happy to edit a menu template file manually, if that's what it takes (and if I knew where to find it). Does anyone know how to change the KDE application menus and make it stick?
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn