Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:09:24 -0400
From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FC2 on VMWare
To: tarek.nabil@xxxxxxxx,	For users of Fedora Core releases
	<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tarek Nabil wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I installed FC2 twice on VMWare, one time choosing a SCSI hard disk and
the
> other an IDE hard disk. In both cases, I could not boot the system. I get
> the following error messages after I press enter in the Grub screen:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:07.1
> audit(1092715917.4294965609:0): initialized
> (running in test mode).
> (running in test mode).
> Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> And then system hangs.
>
> Has anyone encountered such a problem before?
>
> Thanks

I experienced a similar problem on an XP host upgrading an FC2
successful installation to FC3T1. I seem to remember having to boot from
rescue CD and running mkintird to get the thing running in FC2. I
believe I was booting from a kernel with 301 as it's final numbering.

I then successfully installed a real FC3T1 system and downloaded the rpm
for vmware on the linux side, installed it and entered the registration
number from the XP version and it would not accept the key. I then
decided to abandon the product. A virtual machine that can run many
different OS versions as guest and does not allow users to toggle the
host is unacceptable, IMHO.

Good luck, it is possible to get FC2 running through vmware.

Jim