Re: Fedora 2 won't boot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2004 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: Fedora 2 won't boot

> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 14:25, Kellie Blackwell wrote:
> > I had updated a RH7.3 machine to Fedora Core 2 which went OK but I was
> > having network problems. I moved some IRQs around and now I can't boot
> > my machine.
> >
> > Here are the error messages:

> > Mounting root filesystem
> > mount error 6 mounting ext3
> > pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed:2
> > umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 144K freed
> > Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
> >
> > IIRC error 2 (from pivotroot) is "no such file" which makes sense if
> > it can't mount the root filesystem, I can't remember what an error 6
> > is.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Steve,
>
> Three things to check. Boot with either CD #1 ('linux rescue') or the
> Rescue CD.

OK, I've retreived the CDs and I attempted to boot in rescue mode. I got to
a screen that starts:

"The rescue environment will now attempt to find your Linux installation."

When I click the OK button I get this:

"An error occurred tryong to mount some or all of your system. Some of it
may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage..."

And it then takes me to a shell prompt.
Nothing is mounted under /mnt/sysimage.
There are two log files under /tmp, anaconda.log and syslog.
The last few messages in anaconda.log look like this:

isys.py:mount() - going to mount /tmp/hdd5 on /mnt/sysimage
isys:py.mount() - going to mount /tmp/hdd7 on /mnt/sysimage
going to mount hdd7 on /mnt/sysimage as ext3
isys.py.mount() - going to mount /tmp/hdd7 on /mnt/sysimage
trying to mount hde7 on /
isys.py.mount() - going to mount /tmp/hde7 on /tmp/sysimage

The reference to hde7 is a bit puzzling. I have two HDs. A DOS disk that
contains the MBR and a linux disk. I believe that the DOS disk is hdc and
the linux one hdd. /proc/partitions contains this:

22    0       20044080 hdc
22    1       20041056 hdc1
22    64    156290904 hdd
22    65                    1 hdd1
22    69              7969 hdd5
22    70          554211 hdd6
22    71      76228393 hdd7
7      0              73420 loop0

So where did the hde7 reference come from?

Steve.