Re: 1680x1050 resolution not working (Fedora Core 2, Dell Inspiron 8600, WSXGA+)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Florian Burkart wrote:

I just installed FC2 (first time with linux) and am trying to get the
1680x1050 resolution to work. There are plenty of posts about this, and they
all kind of match themselves, so that should be pretty straight forward.

a bit of a digression, is there any sane rationale to the myriad of acronyms for display resolution? the last two times i went looking to buy a laptop (from dell), i was thoroughly annoyed that they'll list, right up front, that a unit has something like XGA, or SXGA, or XGA+, or UXGA or whatever. and all i want to know is, what is the freaking resolution in pixels?

is there a standard for these acronyms? and does everyone follow that standard, or do we have vendors just making this stuff up out of thin air? i fully expect to see new laptops offering SDXGA (sooper dooper XGA) as the next available resolution.

is there a list?  who do i have to kill to read it?

rday