Re: Samba problems

Matthias Bauw wrote:

hi,

I am trying to connect my 2 windows 2000 pc's to my Linux Fedora Core 2
I have been trying all day but I made no progress.

The problem is that the windows pc's just don't see the Samba domain.

I have tried to ping the other pc's from my linux system but that doesn't work either. It seems like Linux doesn't see the other pc's.

When I start linux I get an error message when initialising eth0. The system says that it can't retrieve IP information. I have configured the network settings using setup in the terminal. I have configured it to use DHCP which is present and running on that same machine.

You must have a static address if you are running the DHCP server. Getting a lease from yourself in this scenario will not work.

Furthermore you need to verify that the windows PCs and the Linux one have addresses in the same subnet, not different ones. Depending on how the windows systems are configured, whether your DHCP server is working and reachable from our lan (check iptables rules for this too), and the order in which the Linux and windows systems were booted, the windows systems may have self-assigned addresses.

Can anyone find a reason why the windows pc is constantly saying that the domain doesn't exist?

Is iptables started? If so it by default will block the ports samba needs open for other systems to use it.

thanks for the help

Matt.

P.S.: I have already tried to switch to static IP adresses, the error message at startup disappears but the problems remain...

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021