Fedora kernels not recognizing Compaq Smart Array controller

I've been having trouble getting Fedora (Cores 1, 2, and 3T1) to install or boot on multiple Compaq Proliant servers. THese include multiple DL360s and 1850Rs.

So far as I can tell, the cpqarray driver is never being loaded by the kernels provided in the Fedora install image.

If I replace the kernel in the install image with one I've built, the install goes without a problem.

However, after a successful install, the actual installation now will not boot as it's using the kernel from the Fedora tree. When I boot my kernel, I can see the cpqarray driver loading, but I do not see it load with the Fedora kernels.

Basically, the boot ends with a kernel panic and complains about a bad kernel root.

I've tried many combinations of "no..." flags, mem= flags, etc. with no difference.

Red Hat <=9 installed without problems on these exact same boxes.

We're considering migrating a number of Windows boxes to Fedora, but that's obviously predicated on getting the freakin' thing to install and boot properly.

Note that on the DL360s, the Smart Array controller is an integrated device, while in the 1850s it's an add-on card.

I'm not new to linux, but this has really got me frustrated.

-David