Re: Does samba support windows RIS

Louis Garcia wrote:

Remote Installation Services (RIS) for Windows 2000 allows
administrators to distribute an Riprep based drive image of a customized
Windows 2000 installations to remote clients on a network. In addition,
the RIP client uses PXE/DHCP©based remote boot technology to remotely
install the OS on the local hard disk of a client computer.

Basically I want to install windows over the network using a samba
server. Does the latest samba support this feature?

Samba is part of what you want. It implements the file transfer functionality but doesn't touch the booting side.

You probably want pxe with dhcp and tftp, but I haven't set anything like that up myself. I'll let someone else give you pointers for that.

Mike