Re: FC2 and Athlon64

Michael E. Webster wrote:

> The other day I read the article from AnandTech.com discussing and
> comparing the EM64T Xeon from Intel and the Athlon64 from AMD.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2158
>

> What caught my attention is that Fedora Core 2 refused to install on the
> IA32e machine because there was no recognized AMD CPU.
>
> Not having any experience whatsoever with either 64-bit processor, my
> question is whether anyone has been able to get FC2 installed / working
> with these.  Oh yeah, and is it stable?

I'm running FC-2 on a Targa (Lidl) machine with an AMD Athlon64 CPU
(specs below), and I've had no problems whatever.
My impression is that it runs in 32-bit mode
unless instructed to the contrary.
I compiled linux-2.6.7 with the AMD64 option,
and that too worked without problem.

In fact of the 5 machines in my study at the moment,
it is the only one that ran FC-2 without problem.
(Two Sony Picturebooks with Crusoe CPUs were very painful,
a SCSI-only PIII was quite painful,
and a PII was very long-winded.)

Model:  Targa Visionary AV64 II 3200+ PC
Case:   Midi Tower full-size ATX
Software:       Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM
        Microsoft Works Suite 2004
        Pinnacle Studio 8 ATI Version
        Nero 6 OEM Suite
        Norton AntiVirus OEM
        DivX Codec
        HD Recovery Tool
Processor:      AMD Athlon64 3200+ with HyperTransport
        512 KB L2 Cache and QuantiSpeed architecture works as 2200MHz
Motherboard:    Asus K8V-F (Targa Edition) VIA K8T800 Chipset technology
        5 x PCI, 1 x AGP, 2 x DIMM upgradeable to max 2GB DDR-RAM, 2 x EIDE
Memory: 512 MB DDR-RAM PC 3200 (400MHz) upgradeable to max 2GB DDR-RAM
Hard Disk Drive:        250GB Maxtor with 7200rpm
CD-ROM/DVD:     Samsung DVD-ROM
        16 x DVD, 48 x CD-ROM
        LG Multiformat DVD writer and CD writer
        Read:   12 x DVD-ROM, 32 x CD-ROM
        Write:  8 x DVD+R, 8 x DVD-R, 4 x DVD+RW, 3 x DVD-RAM, 24 x CD-R, 16
x CD-RW
        Includes burning software Nero OEM Suite
Graphics:       ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 XT - High-Speed-Edition
        128MB DDR-RAM, DirectX 9, AGP 8x
        TV Tuner, Stereo Radio Tuner, Time Shifting, multi-functional
Videotext
Sound:  Realtek 6 Channel Dolby 5.1; digital sound with digital and analogue
output and input connectors
Keyboard:       Wireless Multimedia keyboard
Mouse:          Wireless scrtoll mouse
Power Supply:   300 watt Fortron Source - PFC
Slots:          5 x PCI (3 free) 1 x AGP (8x)
Interfaces:     Front panel:    Targa 9-in-1 Multimedial memory card reader,
                                2 x USB 2.0, Firewire,
                                S-Video IN, Composite IN, Microphone, Audio
IN, Audio OUT
                Rear panel:     2 x PS/2, parallel, serial,
                                Center and Subwoofer (switchable from
microphone)
                                Rear Speaker (switchable from Line-In),
Front Speaker (Line-Out),