Re: FC2 using VIA (VT8233) card cannot play wave files

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:42:09 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a FC2 fresh installation. After the install, running
> system-config-soundcard gave a good test sound, and it seemed to work. Then I
> installed xmms-mp3 using yum. I dont remember if I tested the sound after
> that.
>
> After switching to KDE, I found out that most application that uses sound,
> except xmms, does not work. I thought this has something to do with artsd, so
> I killed artsd, and even went back to Gnome. It didn't help.
>
> So basically, here is what works and dont:
> 1. xmms works provided I chose ALSA on the output plugin
> 2. playing CD audio with something like kscd works
> 3. playing ogg123 doesn't work, just give staticky noise. This is true whether
> I use gnome, which make ogg123 runs with ALSA driver, or KDE -> ogg123 runs
> with Artsd
> 4. Playing any wave files with 'playwave' does not work, give staticky noise
> 5. system-config-soundcard "Test" button only gives static noise also

Hmmm, smells much like your ALSA OSS compatibility driver doesn't work.
Trouble-shooting sound problems in FC2 needs a bit of background. The ALSA
drivers support the native ALSA devices /dev/snd/* and OSS compatibility
devices /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer and friends. Not all applications or
utilities use native ALSA devices yet. E.g.  system-config-soundcard plays
the test sound via /dev/dsp (OSS).  playwave uses SDL and ALSA
library. ogg123 uses libao, which supports OSS and EsounD. If in XMMS you
switch to OSS output, I assume you get the same static noise, right?  And
the same when you "cat" some WAV file into /dev/dsp. Some users seem to
have problems with audio driver routing issues, where ALSA and ALSA OSS
seem to be fully separate and one works while the other one doesn't.
Setting the mixer levels with an OSS compatible mixer doesn't change the
ALSA mixer levels for the same soundcard and things like that.  You would
use alsamixer for ALSA and e.g. aumix for OSS.

> I think the right module is loaded when I checked using 'lsmod', but I can
> give the complete output of lsmod if necessary (don't want to send
> unnecessary big list right now).

ALSA loads two sets of modules, one set for OSS (via modprobe.conf.dist),
the other for native ALSA.