Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 109

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:53:58 +1000
> From: "Wolfgang Gill" <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Not able to boot Fedora 2 after ghosting XP
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:11:11 +1000, Carl Nicholls wrote
> > I will explain stetup, machine has 3 harddrives "disk 0(C) is all XP",
"disk 1(G) is all ghost of XP", "disk 2 is all linux", the ghost I fixed XP
with was done before I installed Fedora Core 2 , after ghosting the linux
installation is OK on its own harddrive but the boot choice has gone, and
starts into XP by default, I can enter rescue mode in Linux by using
original installation DVD I downloaded. I tried by using Grub prompt to
grub-install /dev/hdc. message was "unrecognized command". I do not know
enough about Linux to do anymore, one way is to reinstall but this is not me
I want to repair.

> > Carl Nicholls
>
> For the Grub-install command to work. Once you booted into rescue mode. CD
(Change directory) to the boot/grub directory. Then issue that command. It
doesn't matter which drive Linux is located on, since it will have to put
the Boot information on the first drive. When you ghosted the WinXP stuff
back to the first drive, that information would have been destroyed. And
since you already had it working before the ghosting, the grub.conf file
will still retain the boot information relating the where the linux/windows
drives are. This command simply puts the Grub information back onto the main
boot drive. There is no need to reinstall.

> Wolf
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)
>
> Thankyou Wolf

You can see what the problem is, the first drive info has been changed when
I ghosted, now when I get back into core 2 with install disk and then into
rescue mode the prompt is "sh-2.05b#" I then type grub and I have "grub
prompt" I then typed grub-install /dev/hdc and got the message "unrecognized
command" I should type grub-install /dev/hda , is this correct (hda is
windows drive with sys. C disk 0 )

Carl