Re: FC2 - K3b problem with Plextor DVD Writer - was Re: What dvd writers are Fedora compatible?

Mick Mearns wrote:

--- Gerry Tool <gstool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.12
KDE Version: 3.2.2-6 Red Hat
QT Version: 3.3.2

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'
:-( Failed to change write speed: 8310->11080

growisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=8

Hi;
 have you updated your software since you installed FC2?
There are a lot of updates, this is my system:

[mick@athlon mick]$ rpm -qa cd*
cdecl-2.5-29
cdparanoia-devel-alpha9.8-20.1
cdrdao-1.1.8-3
cdparanoia-alpha9.8-20.1
cdp-0.33-31
cdlabelgen-2.6.1-2
cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
cdicconf-0.2-7
cdparanoia-libs-alpha9.8-20.1
cdrecord-ProDVD-2.01a27-1
cdda2wav-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
cdrecord-devel-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1

most of my kde is 3.2.2-2

[mick@athlon mick]$ rpm -qa k3b*
k3b-0.11.12-1
note I installed from tar.gz or .bz2 and it is really
k3b-0.11.13

My FC2 system on which I tried the burn was fully updated. Since that time, I tried again in FC3T1 which has version k3b-0.11.12-2, and was able to successfully burn the FC2 .iso with no errors, specifying the speed as 2.4x. The Verbatim medium for that burn supports 1x-4x. The resulting DVD fails the mediacheck in FC2 anaconda (as does the one I burned in Windows XP with Roxio CD Creator 6), but it installs FC2 just fine.

What does "settings - configure k3b - devices" show? is it correct for your burner?

It does show the listing for my burner. However the line that says Writes DVD+R(w)s says "no", and that is the media type that I am using successfully. I wonder how this data is obtained; that line is obviously in error for this drive. The rest of the listing seems proper.

I have burned FC3-T1.iso just fine.

Are you sure about your hardware setup (master/slave - pri/sec)
I have noticed that some drives come defaulted to cable-select.
/dev/hdd should be a secondary slave and be jumpered as such, using the
middle cable connector (80 pin).

Yes, it came as Master, but the drive I replaced it with was set as Slave, so I changed it to Slave when I installed it.

Mick

Thanks for your reply, Mick.

Gerry