Re: Unable to boot kernel on ANY Compaq system

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:04:40PM -0400, David Nedrow wrote:

> I have been unable to install or boot FC2, FC3T1, or devel using the
> default kernels on ANY Compaq system that I have access to. The Compaqs
> are DL360s, 1850's, and 4500s with SMART array controllers and 896 meg
> of RAM.
>
> Scenario 1:
>
> Simply booting the install loads anaconda, which then complains there
> is not enough memory.
> I've also tried nousb, nopcmcia, noprobe, acpi=off, skipddc, in
> multiple combinations without any benefit or difference in errors.

I think the not enough memory is a problem with DMA and some
chip sets.

There was dozen threads where turning off DMA solved things.
Try "linux ide=nodma" at the Fedora installation boot prompt.
Then  add ide=nodma where you have been adding acpi=off and
such for grub to find.

I have not noticed if this has been fixed but once you have updated
to the latest kernel it is easy to test.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004