Re: How to get rid of Firefox 0.8

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:16:39 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > You have bigger problems than firefox if you can not use some of the
> > basic commands such as rm.

        So I suspected; I'd *been* using them ...

> > Why don't you start by telling everyone exactly how rm or rmdir is not
> > working?  Give the full command line with the error message that it
> > reports.

> > Also how did you install firefox the first time?  If you installed it
> > via rpm or yum you would not use rm to remove it.

        I downloaded a tarball -- the only way I knew of to get it --
into /home/btth, and did tar -xvzf on it, probably as user btth.

        Now I get
                =====
[root@localhost root]# cd /home/btth
[root@localhost btth]# rmdir -rf firefox rmdir: invalid option -- r Try
`rmdir --help' for more information. [root@localhost btth]# rmdir --help
Usage: rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they
are empty.

      --ignore-fail-on-non-empty
                  ignore each failure that is solely because a directory

is non-empty
  -p, --parents   remove DIRECTORY, then try to remove each directory
                  component of that path name.  E.g., `rmdir -p a/b/c'
is
                  similar to `rmdir a/b/c a/b a'.
  -v, --verbose   output a diagnostic for every directory processed
      --help     display this help and exit --version  output version
      information and exit

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@xxxxxxx>. [root@localhost btth]#
                =====

> > After getting the first problem sorted out then you can provide
> > information on how you tried to upgrade firefox.

        I had first checked the FAQ and some recent mozillazine
messages, which told me I'd have to remove 0.8 first. Not expecting to be
able to do that, I went instead to the extensions for 0.8, and installed
-- or tried to install -- many of the same ones I'd been using on the
replaced machine. That caused the trouble, afaict; I had not yet tried
actually to remove anything when the trouble arose.

> > Be sure to provide specific commands lines and versions so we have
> > some idea of what may have happened and can suggest how to extricate
> > yourself from your mess.

        The first time it wouldn't work, I figured I had little to lose,
and tried "yum upgrade firefox" -- and got what I still get :
                =====
[root@localhost btth]# yum upgrade firefox Gathering header information
file(s) from server(s) Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base Server: Fedora
Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates Finding updated packages Downloading
needed headers
Finding obsoleted packages
Cannot find any package matching firefox available to be upgraded.
[root@localhost btth]#
                =====
        The situation now is this :

                =====
[btth@localhost btth]$ /home/btth/firefox/firefox & [1] 14120
[btth@localhost btth]$ *** Failed to load overlay
chrome://x/content/xOverlay.xul
*** Failed to load overlay
chrome://disabletarget/content/disabletargetOverlay.xul

                 =====

with the cursor on the blank line at the bottom.

A window opens, asking me whether to open Ffx for btth or for the default
user (the one my newsreader invokes, or used to). Telling it default, I
get a white space where the website should be, and a blank white line
where the URL should be. When I click the down arrow at the right end of
that line, a small white box opens in the upper left of the window, also
blank.

        When I close Ffx with the x-box in the upper right corner, the
gnome-terminal tab in which I invoked it remains unchanged till I hit ^C.

        When I tell it to open as btth, the invoking tab gets
                =====
[btth@localhost btth]$ *** Failed to load overlay
chrome://x/content/xOverlay.xul
*** Failed to load overlay
chrome://disabletarget/content/disabletargetOverlay.xul unsupported
playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit
stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed Trying 48Khz, 16bit
stereo.

                =====
        The symptoms in the Ffx window are the same. (I move it to its
own workspace with Shift-Alt-Down Arrow as soon as the window opens.)

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Hunting is life, life hunting --