scsi pci vs FC2?

     I am having problems with Fedora Core 2 automatically loading the
aic7xxx driver for a newly attached Adaptec scsi controller pci card.
I have tried two different cards. One a 2910 and the other a 2930.
In each case when I reboot Fedora Core 2, I find that anaconda
properly recognizes the cards by name and ask for me to configure
the card. This appears to result in an entry of...

alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx

...in /etc/modprobe.conf for both cards. However the aic7xxx
driver doesn't seem to be loaded automatically upon rebooting
the machine. If I manually do a '/sbin/modprobe aic7xxxx'
the attached scsi drives appear when I do 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi'.
Has anyone else seen this sort of problem and is there a
clean workaround to force the driver to load at boot time?
     I would also mention that my system drive is a pair of
sata drives configured in a software raid-1 using the sata-promise
driver. So I need to make sure that that driver always loads first
since it needs to be assigned the sda and sdb device names.
I assume that booting from the system drive will insure that
this always happens (the motherboard sata-promise loads first).
                               Jack
ps Is there any real difference between the Adaptec 2910 and 2930?
Would one be a better choice for scsi-2 usage? Thanks in advance
for any help.