Re: how to avoid divergent edits?

On 08/09/2004 09:26 AM, Mike Ramirez wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 06:19, g wrote:

how do you recommend i solve this problem:

the director sends a spreadsheet to members of the board, several of
them reply with changes, the director then has several divergent
versions of the spreadsheet to reconcile.

possible groupware solutions?: twig? phpgroupware? egroupware? skyrix? ensemble? lotus notes? other?

i'd like to hear of experience with any of the above, or other better
ways to address the issue, or pointers to similar discussions.

tia,
greg

Hi.

Isn't NFS supposed to address this. I haven't used NFS myself just read
into a little.

NFS or other file-sharing will help some, but it won't help in the case when people actually have differing opinions they want to express. Because it would mean there's only one current version--but maybe people want to keep multiple version. I think the original poster is on the right track and some kind of groupware system, with workflow options, is a very good solution here.

In the past I programmed Lotus Notes/Domino, and this kind of mini-workflow/version-tracking system could be set up in an afternoon, by someone with a little training or experience. Back in the Domino 4.6 days there was even something called "Lotus Components" where you could embed editable spreadsheets in Notes "documents" and use programming to compare cells in different versions, for example (that would take longer than an afternoon). I don't know if Components or something like it is still available. It's probably more than most people need.

Notes/Domino is pretty heavy on its administration requirements; it's better in an institution where you can have at least one person administering it, and another doing programming. It's best when you're big enough to use it a lot, for example as your email server and maybe even web server, and have support/training staff dedicated to it as well.

We currently use OpenACS (http://openacs.org) for our workflow/intranet system and it's extremely powerful, but has a tough learning curve. Once it's installed and going, it requires a lot less admin than Notes, though.

There are lots of other systems, many PHP-based, like the OP mentions and they may all be great but I can't comment on them. I've heard some good things about Drupal lately.

good luck,
Matt