Trouble installing ATI drivers!

Okay, I printed the FAQ instrictions and followed them exactly, but I can't get the patch file to work.

First, when I did rmmod radeon, I got an error saying it was already in use, so I did telinit 3 and did rmmod again from command prompt with no errors. I guess it can't stop the drivers with X running...

I have the kernel-sourcecode-2.6.7-1.494.2.2 instaled, btw.

I did the rpm -Uvh... and installed the ATI drivers, and then I got the error saying how there would be no 3D since I don't have the right kernel or Xfree86 (this is what patch os for?), but the install was succesful.

Next, I tried the patch and kept getting errors *** garbage in input, and then I remembered I forgot to extract the .gz file, so I had to do that first, but then I got an error:

=====
patching file 2.6.x/Makefile
patching file firegl_public.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]: n
Aplly anyway? [n]: y
=====

Then I got a bunch of failed patches and then I couldn't g any further because the package wouldn't compile with sh make.sh. What is Assume-R do? I went back into X and ran tux racer, but it was slow as hell, and my desktop took a while to load. I just did rpm -e fglrx* to fix whatever I did, and now my system is working again with built-in drivers and tux racer runs smooth again.

My system specs:
AMD XP1800+
GA-7DX
512mb PC2100
Radeon 8500LE
Windows 98SE
Fedora Core 2 (2.6.7-1.494.2.2)

If tux racer runs, then I have 3D enabled, so the built-in drivers must work pretty well. What will I gain with the ATI drivers?