Re: Yum has screwed up my system :-(

Johan Henes wrote:
Hi !

I do not know if this is the right list for this posting, but here I go
:

On a FC1 server, a colleague has added freshrpms and ATRPMS in addition
to the "normal" two repositories for updating Fedora. After a "yum
update" (and another yum update with the "original yum.conf after that)
the system looks totally screwed.

ie. a rpm -q kernel gives "packet not installed"....

I have tried to repair the rpm database with no success...

A rpm -qa returns maybe 150 rpms....

It looks like i have a combination of rpms that really does not like
eachother :-)

Is it possible to get the system back to its "normal" state using yum
with the two original repositories, or are the CDS my only way out ???

Best regards,

Johan

I was running into problems with yum and up2date on two computers and have traced all problems to atrpms repository. For some reasons their files don't want to work with other repositories as nice as others. I ran into this problem with many little programs on the weekend that I had to remove close to 100 atrpm packages and re-install from other repositories to clean my system. Many won't even work nicely with the normal fedora updates. I still have alot of sorting out to do.

My biggest problem has been with their PHP* packages and I have submitted a bug report which has been closed but still won't work as expected.

I have dropped atrpms from my list of usable repositories.

Note:  This is my experience with atrpms.

--
Robin Laing