RE: Network Servers unable to browse network

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> Simon,
>
> 	Thanks for the pointer.  Was a good discussion.  The described
> problem sounds similar but I have the same problem even when I
> disable the firewall entirely.  The firewall issue was one of the
> first things I thought of that could cause the problem I was seeing.
> But even opening up the samba ports or disabling the firewall does
> not resolve the problem.
>
> 	I have filed a bug report on this yesterday.  I am hoping someone
> will see it and either provide a fix or work around or at least
> confirm that I am not going crazy.  (at least no more than I already
> am)
>
> 	I may have to sign up for the developers list to monitor such
> conversations.  Was very interesting.

Scot,

I can only confirm that I have the same problem you describe at this end,
but only when using gnome/nautilus. Using KDE's konqueror, I see no problems
at all with netbios name resolution/browsing. i.e. smb:///

As a reference:

1) My FC2 system is located behind my firewall and does not start any
netfilter/iptable rules.

2) When nautilus fails - using the samba nmblookup/smbclient commands return
the proper __MSBROWSE__ record for my network (the WINS server) and
subsequent queries to the master browser record return all registered
domains/hosts.

3) If I logout of GNOME and then log back in, nautilus will work for awhile,
but then (for no appearent reason) starts exhibiting the same problems you
describe. Which makes me think this is some kind of authentication problem.
i.e. expired token or something along those lines. But I'll be damned if I
can spot what is causing this using ethereal captures.

BTW: Would you mind posting the link to your bugzilla report. I too, would
like to follow this problem.

Steve Cowles