Re: Yum has screwed up my system :-(

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:05:19PM +0200, Johan Henes wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I do not know if this is the right list for this posting, but here I go
> :
>
> On a FC1 server, a colleague has added freshrpms and ATRPMS in addition
> to the "normal" two repositories for updating Fedora. After a "yum
> update" (and another yum update with the "original yum.conf after that)
> the system looks totally screwed.
>
> ie. a rpm -q kernel gives "packet not installed"....
>
> I have tried to repair the rpm database with no success...
>
> A rpm -qa returns maybe 150 rpms....
>
> It looks like i have a combination of rpms that really does not like
> eachother :-)

I don't think so, freshrpms & atrpms have been doing very well as a
combination for the last two years. I assume that you had the infamous
rpm database corruption bug:

http://rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb/

Even though it has improved very much in latest rpm versions there are
still reports of corrupted rpm databases (check the fedora lists and
bugzilla.redhat.com).

> Is it possible to get the system back to its "normal" state using yum
> with the two original repositories, or are the CDS my only way out ???

Try

rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 rpm --rebuilddb

If that does not help, your rpm database is gone.

Also try du -s /var/lib/rpm, for a full install you should get >=
100MB, including full freshrpms and atrpms ~= 120MB. For 150 packages
you would get ~10MB, so if there are no more than 10-20MB you can
forget resurrecting the rpm database :(
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net