Up2date and SysAdmin auth.

I noticed that when I run up2date in fc2, that the sys admin auth. doesn't always go away immediately once it moves to package retrieval. Sometimes it takes several minutes before the "keys" disappear (yeah I use dial up). I don't like to expose root online any longer than necessary, so can I safely click "forget authorization" as soon as up2date switches to package retrieval mode? I don't want to mess up the update but then I also don't want to find I got a "surprise" with my upgrade. How secure is the actual upgrade process? BTW thank you list contributors, you've sometimes answered questions I didn't even know I had!
Stan