Re: Getting IP Address

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 21:58, Enayetur RAHEEM wrote:
> Nope. Did  not work. I will check it with my friend's high speed
> connection. They are connecting to a DHCP server.
>

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:33:41 -0400, Enayetur RAHEEM <raheem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am not sure if the DHCP server is there. I use Bell's Sympatico
> > (Canada) DSL service which works through usual telephone line. The
> > software they provided woks fine and I cheked the windows IP config
> > and the result is
> >
> > DNS suffix: sympatico.ca
> > IP 192.168.2.2
> > subnet: 255.255.255.0
> > Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> >
> > I am going to set the same settings now in FC2. I will let you know the result.

Ah, some information on you network setup.

If you are connecting directly to a DSL modem, the modem should be
providing the DHCP service to your system.

I have not used DSL with Linux.  So others on the list may be able to
help you better.

The things I would check would be if your provider uses PPPoe or
requires some other authentication for that service.  This may require
playing with some of the settings when you configure the NIC.

Also verify that the speed and duplex of your machines interface matches
the cable modems.  Probably 10Mb/half duplex.

Check for link integrity as well.  (there should be an led showing this
on both your NIC as well as the DSL modem.)
--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and forth until 10-20% are neatly removed. Do _not_ leave metal bits visible!