Re: vsftpd slow because of iptables firewall

--- Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Sa, den 07.08.2004 schrieb Roger Haase um 3:37:
>
> > When I log on to vsftpd using WS_FTP LE from Windows/XP it takes
> nearly
> > a minute. When I try uploading a directory of files it is very slow
> and
>
> This is a typical sign for a not proper working name resolution.
> Check
> your /etc/hosts file and if you run a nameserver check it's setup.
>
> > seems to want to change port numbers after every file. The
> individual
> > file transfers seem to be be going OK, there is just a long delay
> > between the start of each upload.
> >
> > I am running the stock Fedora core 2 installation with no changes
> > the default configuration file. All activity is on a local LAN. I
> am
> > able to transfer the same directory to a Mandrake 9.2 installation
> with
> > proftpd in less than a minute, I cancelled the operation using
> vsftpd
> > after about 30 minutes with only about 10% complete.
>
> Do you have IPv6 active? Try again after disabling it with
>
> alias ipv6 /bin/true
>
> in /etc/modprobe.conf and a restart.
>
> > I have the same WS_FTD LE login options for both systems.  Any help
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Roger
>
> Alexander

I tried both of those suggestions and neither helped. So I tried not
starting the iptables firewall at boot and my file transfers were very
fast.

So the next question is why slow transfers with the firewall "problem"
when all my googling results seem to suggest that firewall problems
result in no transfers at all?

Roger