Re: listen to stream with xmms or mplayer

Thanks steven ,
It works in that way .

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
netmask <netmask@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

this is a month I want to listen to following site , but I can't :
http://salsastream.com/
the stream is pls type and mozila try to open audio/x-scpls helper
and it can't.
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMozillaConfiguration.html#PLUGINS
any thing I missed , I have xmms and mplayer and both working fine .

Go into XMMS, click on +URL (bottom left)

and put in the following address:

http://205.188.234.65:8026

Then click on it in your play list.. does it work? That's all the PLS
file is.. is a pointer to that server..

Hello, Everyone :)
Because I wanted to try to help the person that started this thread, I
tried the above quoted advice, and I am listening to the stream that the
original poster had wanted to listen to. I must say, I really like it
:)
But anyway, I am running XMMS from the official XMMS tarball. Other
than that, I am running Fedora Core 2, all offical updates installed. Also, I installed EVERY package when I installed.
I wish I could help the original poster, but all I can say is don't give
up! I am listening to the stream that you wanted to listen to :)

Message to the original poster:
This is what I did to get the stream you wanted running:

1. Opened up xmms
2. Make sure that the playlist is open.
3. At the bottom of the playlist is a button that looks something like
this:
"  +
 file"
Click on that, and move your cursor till it highlights:
" +
URL" and release your mouse button.
4. A box will pop up that has the title: "Enter URL to add:" at the top.
Paste the following in that box:
http://205.188.234.65:8026
5. Click "Ok"

A line like this then appeared in my playlist:
"1. SALSASTREAM.COM - Best Salsa Collection in t..."
I double clicked on that line, and I've been listening to salsa ever
since.  I must say that I'm looking forward to listening to it when my
wife wakes up, since I figured out real quick that Salsa must sound real
good at a healthy volume :)

I hope this helped :)
Steven P. Ulrick