Re: Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 10:45 -0700, Jeff wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 04:45:27 -0400, Greg Swallow <gswallow@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:43:19 +0100 Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> >> ... But to me what you described is called moral harassment...
> >
> > Might be harassment, but it is the reality we run into every today.
> >
> > More to point, Windows and/or Mac OS do not delivery with such content
>
> I don't know about that, that little paperclip was winking pretty
> suggestively at me. :)
>
> > and, if Red Hat/Fedora wants business to seriously consider their
> > product, it should do the same. Else businesses will continue to buy
> > Windows and Mac OS and keep Linux in the closet.
>
> Show me where Fedora is pushing businesses to use it?  Here is Objective
> one from the fedora site

Well this argument is moot anyway, since AFAIK the offending text
appears in all (current) versions of the glsnake screensaver, not just
fedora's.

> 1. Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
> equivalent to competing operating systems, built for and by a community.
>
> That being the case, you have to expect a certain amount of
> "individualism" in the product.  If you know there is
> something that might be construed as offensive then remove it.  You have
> complete control over it.  Different
> cultures find offense to different things.

The problem is... who knew it had it? I mean now there is a huge and
all-encompassing thread about it, but for those thousands who never read
the list, how are they expected to know that there is a .001% chance
that offensive content will appear on their screen when they are away
from it, and they might lose their job over it? Realistically, doesn't
seem to make more sense to either remove the material altogether, or to
at least make it an option whether to enable it or not, and default to
not? Especially in this case, since there does not appear to be any
motivating factors behind the text other than someone thinking a shape
humorously resembled a phallus (or vagina, or turd).
--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>