RE: Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 01:16 -0400, Jenkins, Jeremiah wrote:
> I agree that people these days take things the wrong way, as in the story
> below.  I would be more concerned if this was related to RHELx.  But, since
> fedora is for the community to use, and not supported in a "corporate" since
> I do'nt see what the big deal is.  THe last thing we need is a party going
> after the developers to stop having fun that doesn't bother 99% of us, for
> the other 1%, such as the one that started this thread, we have shown there
> are ways around having the "penis" shown thus alleviating the problem

Well, there are people using Fedora in the workplace; there is nothing
in the Fedora notes that says "Warning: screensavers may contain
offensive content". There are also people with children who maybe don't
feel like explaining why their screen says "erect penis". Not to mention
other non-corporate areas such as public libraries who might be turned
off by such content.

I'm all for programmers having fun, as one I know I like to, but IMO
there's also nothing wrong with RH and Fedora making the default
behavior of their system suppress this type of thing, once discovered,
and in this case I support that decision. I also would be a little upset
if all the sudden the web-collage only picked up porn site images
(obviously, that's a little more extreme than what happened here).
fortune has had the -o option for a long time, and in fact I think
Fedora and RH doesn't even ship with the 'offensive' fortunes. That's
the way to do it; let the developers have fun, but inform the users as
much as possible and let them choose how risque they are willing to be
with their systems.

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>