Re: Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 11:16, Aaron Gaudio wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 09:04 -0700, Mike Ramirez wrote:
> > Xcuse the past post it was a miss click, me bad.
> >
> > But this wouldn't be a problem if people didn't feel the need to sue
> > over the littlest observed slight.
> >
> > Trivial situations as the screensaver shouldn't be a problem big enough
> > for anyone to get outraged about and feel they must complain.  Just fix
> > it to what they need.
> >
> > We need a middle ground on these types of situations because everyone is
> > has different opinions as seen in this topic. This middle ground has to
> > accepted by everyone and not think that their opinion is the absolute
> > correct one.
> >

> I agree, I wish people were not so litigious in this country; but it is
> as it is and while I don't mind pushing the limits of decency at times,
> I like to at least be aware that I am pushing the limits.
>
> The problem here is that what was probably inserted as a cute little
> joke could have ramifications on a corporate user, not necessarily
> because the user is affected, but because some easily-offended coworker
> sees a screensaver that the user did not even know contained such
> material. And, yes this is Fedora and not Red Hat Enterprise; but I use
> Fedora Core 2 at work, not Red Hat Enterprise, and if it's going to have
> something that might offend someone's delicate sensibilities, I'd like
> to know so that I can decide whether or not to take appropriate
> measures. Something akin to having to manually use the "-o" option to
> fortune to get the offensive fortunes, would be fine with me. It's hard
> enough to keep my Linux box below the Corporate IT radar, it doesn't
> help to have the words "penis" and "vagina" displayed on-screen when I'm
> not even around (now then, when I am around...)
---
litigation is a side issue

the xscreensaver/glsnake indeed exists in RH AS 3 - I have no idea if it
has been 'cleansed' but I doubt it.

It seems that it should probably be removed from standard distribution
and maybe included as an 'extra' or at the very least, by default,
deactivated.

Craig