Re: how to change my source address in sendmail??

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:31:03AM +0000, ssoss S wrote:

> Hi.. i am using sendmail in Fedora Core1 to send mail.  And I found
> that my source email address is always root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> mylinux is my hostname and mycompany is my company domain name.  but
> how can change my source email address to root@xxxxxxx or
> myname@xxxxxxx??  where is the setting???

What mail tool are you using to send mail.

Commonly people sendmail from Netscape, Mozilla, Balsa, elm, pine,
mailto, mutt, sylpheed, emacs, xemacs, mail, Mail, evolution, and
more.  Most of these use sendmail as a transport agent to deliver and
collect mail.

Some of these agents bypass sendmail some depend on it.

Many of these user oriented tools let you specify your "From:" and "Reply
To:" headers when you set up the identity stuff.

Next your sendmail in this case lives inside of your company.  In many
cases sendmail on the local box will need to interact with a company
transport agent.  You need to play correctly in that context.  You are
almost guaranteed to not be root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rewriting user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to user@xxxxxxxxxxx is commonly
done by the company mail server.  Is this what we are doing? Building
a company mail server.

Anyhow sendmail can rewrite the headers but I am concerned that you
are asking the wrong question.  As others indicated
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is a beginner error/ tell.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004