Re: force file attributes

Micheal wrote:
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:10, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

How can I force a copied file to always have u+w on? Is it one of the sticky bits or is it just not possible?

Asking this because often cd's have the w-bit off which can be quite annoying, because I have to change the w-bit on with chmod afterward.
btw I use mc to copy files (usually).
I run an updated FC2 system.

Guus.

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)

Via the great "man cp" ...

-p same as --preserve= mode, ownership,
timestamps --preserve[=ATTR_LIST] preserve the specified attributes (default: mode,owner-ship,timestamps) and security contexts, if possible additional attributes: links, all

This should do it for you

HTH

Micheal

Hi Michael,

Thanks for you answer, but I need the opposite. I want the write attribute to be set even if the original file does not have the write attibute set, depending on the target directory.

Possible?

Guus.