Re: Security Pipeline | News | Survey Finds Linux Hacks Rare

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:48:09PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 19:26, Price Technology wrote:

> > But then, isn't that one of the reasons we use it in the first place ??
> >
> > Joebewan

> Exactly so!!!
>
> Although I have had one system hacked, it was my own stupidity.
> Directly connected to the internet with no firewall running and lots of
> services open for attack.

This article presents some statistics that show that Linux is more
secure to various hacks...

I wanted to gloat at a couple of levels but that is not in order.

The vast majority of us are computer literate.  That helps...  and
alone may cover the fact that so few of the linux boxes had been
'hacked'.

My personal and corp WindowZ boxes (knock on wood) have not had
trouble but I work at it.  Windows updates are and were a daily
task...

Linux is getting more friendly.  This permits less educated users to
use it.  As the community grows I suspect our task is to constantly
improve this tool of ours as well as educate a growing number in how
to use it safely.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004