smb shares inaccessible in gnome

I seem to be having an issue accessing smb shares in the gnome file
manager.  When I try to look at the system (win2k) it just  tells me I
don't have the proper access, and doesn't give  me the opportunity to
authenticate.  I can look at stuff on win9x machines just fine.

I also am able to access the win2k box through Konqueror, which gives me
an authentication screen.

As a side note, I was unable to mount it using smbmount or mount -t
smbfs, but that's probably a lack of reading on  my part.  (yes I was
su'd to root and gave the username and password according  to the syntax
in help)

Tips or pointers to reading appreciated.

Joebewan