Re: How to get rid of Firefox 0.8

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 14:17, Beartooth wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade to 0.9 ; various parts of the FAQ warned me to first
> remove all or part of 0.8 ; neither rm nor rmdir seems to work any more,
> nor rmdir -r nor -f, much less -rf.
>
> So I tried to upgrade as best I could, installing extensions I had had and
> used on the machine the present one replaces. I got something, somehow,
> fouled up so royally that now I can't use Firefox at all.
>
> So I *have* to get rid of it. But FC1 seems to have dumped any deletion
> command I can find, and replaced with something I can't.
>
> --
> Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
> Remember I know precious little of what I'm asking about!

You have bigger problems than firefox if you can not use some of the
basic commands  such as rm.

Why don't you start by telling everyone exactly how rm or rmdir is not
working?  Give the full command line with the error message that it
reports.

Also how did you install firefox the first time?  If you installed it
via rpm or yum you would not use rm to remove it.

After getting the first problem sorted out then you can provide
information on how you tried to upgrade firefox.  Be sure to provide
specific commands lines and versions so we have some idea of what may
have happened and can suggest how to extricate yourself from your mess.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Garbage In, Gospel Out