RE: Secure Login Problem

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 01:14, Alexander Valdez wrote:
> By executing the following script I could watch when the
> www2.harrisdirect.com became available and then I would login.
>
>  while (1>0)
> > do
> > ping -c 1 www2.harrisdirect.com
> > sleep 10
> > done
> PING www2.harrisdirect.com (63.72.61.96) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 63.72.61.96: icmp_seq=0 ttl=105 time=83.6 ms
>
> Why is this site playing peek a boo, is this some kind of
> security feature, or a linux problem.
>
> Alex

This makes me think you have a bad nameserver listed in your resolv.conf
file.  I am not sure but I think when you have multiple nameservers
listed in resolv.conf your queries will be run round robin through
them.  If you have a nameserver listed that does not know about
www2.harrisdirect.com it would return a not found message.  Hence your
site playing peek-a-boo with you. :)

Check your nameservers using nslookup (I know old style) or dig.  I know
with nslookup you can tell it to use a particular nameserver.  I suspect
you can do the same with dig but I have not used dig that way yet.  As
for www2.harrisdirect.com on each and see if one of them reports an
error.  Remove that one from resolve.conf and you should be good to go.

The other way  you can test this is to remove all but one nameserver at
a time in resolv.conf.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>