trouble with java vm in mozilla and opera

Hi,
   I am using FC 1. I wanted to do my collge mid term project on java. But somehow the java plugin for mozilla and opera keeps elluding me. Please help me through this. I have already tried things like making a symbolic link etc... I dont know where I am going wrong ???
thanks and regards
shatam
321 PG Hostel,
mnnit ald