Re: how to change my source address in sendmail??

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:46:11 +0200, Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mi, den 04.08.2004 schrieb Yang Xiao um 16:12:
>
> > > He is looking for
> > >
> > > define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `abc.com')dnl
> > >
> > > It is important that the name of the Sendmail host is resolvable.
>
> > confDOMAIN_NAME         $j macro        If defined, sets $j.  This should
> >                                         only be done if your system cannot
> >                                         determine your local domain name,
> >                                         and then it should be set to
> >                                         $w.Foo.COM, where Foo.COM is your
> >                                         domain name.
> >
> > sounds like it should work, but not what it's intended for?
> >
> > MASQUERADE_AS is more appropriate in this case I think.
> >
> > Yang
>
> Hard to decide as the OP did not gave that much information, certainly
> because he is not well experienced with mail server configuration.
>
> When using masquerading he should know that root is an exposed user and
> thus is excluded from masquerading. And the OP explicitly mentioned the
> case where the sender address should be root@whatever.
>
> Reading the cf/README is very important anyway. A smarter reading is
> provided by the HTML formatted documentation
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html
>
> Alexander
>
> --
hi,
point taken, I just want to add that we should discourage sending ont
emails as the root user to the public domain. It's a huge sign saying
"I'm new to linux and I'm haven't fully configured my system yet,
please come and share it with me."

Yang