Re: Missing checkerboard on startx problem

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

2.6.8-rc2-mm2, kde3.3-beta2

Startx has not, for quite some time now, displayed the checkerboard pattern that tells you the x-server is alive, and according to the folks on the x.org list, redhat patched that away quite some time back.

As this is a quick, usefull check on the monitors condition, and really has no bearing on the startup time as it now shows a black screen during that time, can this be re-instated with the next x.org based update cycle, please?

Adding the back checkerboard pattern on startup would prevent a lot of people from thinking that their computer was locked up. (blank screen, seemingy no activity)

I believe the pattern is gone for good though. It is not there in later versions of xorg either.

Adding it back, if mainstream has it, would reduce the needed amount of patches. Allowing this for startx, since people using startx probably appreciate the system startup messages and shutdown messages would not be a distraction for runlevel 5 users.

Jim

-- I always have fun because I'm out of my mind!!!