Re: Is there anyway I could boot linux faster

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 05:33, Paul wrote:

Hi,

What ia ma trieing to do is trining to figure out a way to start gdm
before most of the services. Does anyone know how to do this. Or is it
possibnle at all that gdm starts before lets say kudzu and all the
other default things that load up.

Possibly the best way (but not the easiest) is detailed on the IBM
website

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html

It isn't easy, but it does speed things up.

Tell me you're not dual-booting a server, are ya? Ick!

   :)

About a year ago, probably more, there was a lot of motion towards
making a machine boot in several seconds. But unless you're a laptop
person with power problems, etc, why would you need to?

   The other night a friend of my daughter had a friend over. When it
got late, I was following an NIS curiosity when I got a shutdown notice.
I hadn't heard anything from my daughter, but I got out.  Turns out, the
friend figured she was going to bed, so she did a shutdown from GDM and
that turned off the power.

   I was shocked; she didn't know how to login, but she knew how to
shutdown.  The funny part was that she didn't live in a world where you
just let'em run...they get turned off every time they get up, in their
world.

   Guess I've been in Linux a really long time, now.

WHAT!!!! She shutdown the machine, unspeakable. Im proud if I can even keep it going for 5 days before my son shuts it down. I need to teach this boy the importance of servers.

Austin