Re: Recommended partitioning scheme

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:03:45PM -0500, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> I am thinking that I might download and install the FC3 test on my
> second hard drive and I am wondering what partitioning scheme to use. I
> have read that the recommended partitioning scheme is about a 2gb swap,
> 100mb /boot, and whatever size for /, but I have just read some other
> articles saying that /home and /usr should also be mounted on seperate
> partitions so that user data and installed programs can be saved in the
> event a reinstall is necessary.

Here's my suggestion. I'll try to be brief. Remember that this is a
test release, and will be temporary. I've already re-installed several
times for testing purposes. Partition sizes aren't critical, because
they are temporary.
  I'd mirror your existing system to the second drive, then upgrade
that. The installer should fix your existing GRUB on your old system,
so you (most likely) won't be stuck if something goes wrong and the
new install won't work. If you're testing, it would be best if you
test the install/upgrade system as well. If you think you will most
likely install FC3 fresh when it comes out rather than doing an
upgrade, maybe a fresh install would be better. Simulate what you're
likely to do when FC3 comes out, and you'll be doing a better job
of testing.
  Yes, there are RPMs for the test releases. You'll use the "testing"
repository, and probably have 100 updates right off the bat. I know
I've updated at least 250 packages by now, and gone through 5 kernels.
Things are always changing, updating isn't even possible at times
because things are broken.

All that being said, testing sure is a lot of fun. I'm having a blast.
Heed the warnings about running a test on a critical system, though.
You could be left stranded at any time.