Re: MORE SSH Hacking: heads-up

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 00:12 -0700, Michael wrote:
> People seem to be going through great efforts to counter something that
> isn't all that uncommon. Sometimes the simplest things are left out of the
> discussion. Why hasn't anybody said anything about disableing root logons
> via ssh? (isn't this pretty much standard proceedure to public systems?)

Exactly...  Don't enable remote login for anyone who doesn't need it.

On all my systems I create a "remote" group and add only those users who
are responsible enough to have shell access.  Then
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config I add the following:

PermitRootLogin no
AllowGroups remote

On critical systems I use only SSH keys:
PasswordAuthentication no

Many people seem to think that SSH magically makes their systems safe
from intrusion.  Without requiring keys SSH is as insecure as the least
secure service on the machine.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/