Re: A backup problem

Satish Balay wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Mike wrote:

I am installing Linux Fedora Core 2 over a an older RedHat version, 7.1. The
application is a complex one providing a real-time video feed. While
reasonably schooled in the application side there are any number of esoteric
pieces I am struggling with. Specifically something as simple as backing up
the system.

I've tried TAR and SMB only to create ever increasing volumes. The problem I
think is that my attempts are chasing the links instead of simply backing up
the links. I simply want to create a backup that I can copy back, untar or
the like, if I must re-create the system. All my software is a CVS archive,
however much of the meddling I've done to Linux is in the libs, file
structures, links, .conf files and the like.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

How about just using rsync for backup?

rsync -a source_dir destination_location

And if the destination is on a remote machine:

rsync -az -e ssh source_dir user@remotemachine:destination_location

To get you started with rsync, here is a sample config:

On the backup server:
/etc/rsync.conf

motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[rsync]
   path = /home/rsync
   comment = Rsync Backup Server
   uid = nobody
   gid = nobody
   read only = no
   list = yes
   secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

Start the rsync server with:
# rsync --daemon

On the machine with the data to be backuped:

#!/bin/sh
# backup server
BSERVER=192.168.200.17
# backup options
# see: # man rsync
OPTS="--force --ignore-errors --delete -a"
# directory to backup
BDIR=/home/user
# do the backup
rsync $OPTS $BDIR $BSERVER::rsync/

So everything in /home/user gets backuped to the server in /home/rsync
For further details see 'man rsync'

Cheers,
Hannes.