Re: MIDI editor

Michael Sullivan wrote:
In my search for a Linux MIDI editor I began looking over my Main
Menu->Sound and Video->More Sound and Video and discovered an
application called KMid.  It has an interesting interface, but I can't
get any sound.  I have a MIDI file that I downloaded a long time ago
that I'm using as a test file, and KMidi will play it just fine, but
KMid still won't give me any sound.  Has anyone else encountered this
problem?

Michael:

I ran into the same thing with my new box that I installed FC2 on. On my old FC1 box, I have a SoundBlaster Live sound card, which it seems has MIDI support, but my current setup uses an integrated sound card that does not have MIDI support.

So when I created the score in lilypond, I also created a .midi file that I wanted to check out. Kmid wouldn't play it, but I found that timidity would play it!

Do a "which timidity" at a command prompt. See if you have it in /usr/bin. If you do, then try playing the midi file with this command:

timidity nameofthemidifile.midi

Hope this helps,
Clint