Re: system clock is too slow

Bob Chiodini wrote:

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:43, Gang Qin wrote:

The problem is there is no problem if the system is power-off. And also there was no problem before I changed from RH9 to FC2 one week ago. Maybe you could help me to figure out what is wrong. From 'cat /proc/interrupts' I can see 'ERR 5', maybe there is some clue? I am attaching some information at the end of this email, thanks.

Gang

Andrew_Morgan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

But that battery is used when the system is turned off to keep the
systems clock running, issues have been seen before CMOS batteries. the
best thing to do to troubleshoot this problem is to leave the system in
bios, and watch the clock ticking.

If it still acts up in bios you definitely have a hardware failure, in
which situation you need to contact your hardware vendor and insist on a
replacement battery and or motherboard.

A bios flash would also be interesting, but chances are the manufacturer
will request this anyway.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

James Wilkinson wrote:

What sort of motherboard do you have? What sort of hard drives and CDs,
and how are they connected?

It is a hp pavilion ze4400 (or compaq presario 2100) with Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz, inner QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241, inner ATA DISK drive 5400 40G

Does it make any difference how busy the system is? What happens if you
leave it doing nothing for an hour? (Try running init 1 to really shut
down background processes).

After init 1, I found my system clock only passed 31 min for an hour.

Can you do a couple of "cat /proc/interrupts"es on a really quiet
system, say five minutes apart?

results of "cat /proc/interrupts" are in the bottom.

Can you get hold of a DOS boot disk? Does the same thing happen in DOS?
(Try www.freedos.org if necessary).

There were no problem before I change from RH9 to FC2. The FC2 is a fresh installation. I may try the freedos later. Thanks.

cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 2763867 XT-PIC timer
1: 1064 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 1 XT-PIC ALI 5451
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 746 XT-PIC acpi
10: 1067 XT-PIC ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
11: 5 XT-PIC yenta
12: 38676 XT-PIC i8042
14: 20840 XT-PIC ide0
15: 1149 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 5
[root@pc3 oo]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 3171884 XT-PIC timer
1: 1070 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 1 XT-PIC ALI 5451
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 795 XT-PIC acpi
10: 1467 XT-PIC ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
11: 5 XT-PIC yenta
12: 38676 XT-PIC i8042
14: 21097 XT-PIC ide0
15: 1761 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 5
[root@pc3 oo]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 3604642 XT-PIC timer
1: 1076 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 1 XT-PIC ALI 5451
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 848 XT-PIC acpi
10: 1753 XT-PIC ohci_hcd, eth1, eth0
11: 5 XT-PIC yenta
12: 38676 XT-PIC i8042
14: 21305 XT-PIC ide0
15: 2409 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 5

Have you tried booting with the noapic kernel option (or one of the
other related kernel parameters)?

As indicated in one of the earlier responses:  Check for and install the
latest BIOS update, as well.

It's interesting that ~30 minutes are lost in an hour.

Bob...

I tried booting with "acpi=no" and there is no time loss. However, the flash of the latest BIOS does not help. Also a plain linux kernel (2.6) from kernel.org with acpi does not have time loss problem, and the 'cat /proc/interrupt' gives 'ERR 0'. Thanks.