Re: Samba

On 07/29/2004 10:27 PM, Jim Cornette wrote:

Eduardo de Moura Rodrigues wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have a big problem. I want to login into a microsoft server, but I can't. I see all computer in microsoft network, but i don't have access. I don't know how I log-in into the server. I use Samba 3, and Fedora 2. Thank's

I believe from memory you have to navigate to the desired server and then type the domain\user followed by the password.

example: mydomain\myusername.

Otherwise, you have to join a domain or something like that.

Best Guess,

Jim

Currently my FC1 machine is not a member of the Windows domain. I connect to Windows shares with the following command:

mount -t smbfs //server_name/share_name -o"username=my_windows_user_name" /home/my_FC1_user_name/mount_point

(everything with an underscore is a variable; everything else is literal). Then it asks me for the password. In case you're not familiar with the mount command, what you're doing is mounting (attaching) the remote share on an existing directory (in this case, the mount_point directory). So mount_point has to be there. If it works, you can then cd to the mount_point directory, and you should see your files there.

Generally this has always worked better for me than double-clicking on the server's icon in "Network Neighborhood" windows (I don't know why), so try it and see if it works. If it doesn't you may need to do something to your /etc/samba/smb.conf file, but I'm not a great expert on that. I just mucked with mine until it worked (and sometimes no mucking is necessary).

If your DNS is not set up right, you might need to use the server's IP address instead of the server_name.

--Matt