FC2 and alsa problem

I'm running FC2 on an x86-64 machine based on an Albatron K8X800 Pro II
mobo with an onboard envy24 (ICE1724) sound chip. So far it's been a
real hassle getting sound to work properly. The latest problem now seems
to be a sampling rate bug with the alsa 1.0.5 drivers, causing all my
MP3s to play too fast and at a slightly higher pitch. I get this playing
both WAVs and MP3s using either alsaplayer or xmms, but not when I play
AVIs using mplayer. Has anyone ever seen this before and found a
solution?