RH8 to FC2 Upgrade causing USB problems.

Hello Folks,

I have just upgraded to FC2 from RH8 and I have encountered some USB
problems as a result that I never experienced with either RH7.1 or RH8.

I have been doing some extensive testing of FC2 and my USB problems and
I've come to the conclusion that the problem is not hardware related but
is a problem with the 2.6 kernel and how it detects USB busses and
devices.

I have also checked each scenario of cabling and Zip/HD configurations
on my RH7.1 setup to see if the results are the same as on my FC2 setup.
On all occasions my RH7.1 setup detected the Zip and HD drives with no
problems and always the same disk IDs. This seems to confirm that the
problems are specific to the 2.6 kernel.

The problems encountered on my FC2 setup are:

1. With the onboard USB enabled the detection of the Zip & HD are
problematic and variable.( The onboard USB is 1.1. A two port that is
able to be used and another two port header on the MB but without any
header pins, so cannot be used but FC2 detects it, as did RH8 and RH7.1)

2. With the onboard USB disabled the detection of the Zip & HD (plugged
into a 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card) are more consistent but still not 100%
reliable.

3. The disk IDs will swap around if I change cable positions in the USB
PCI card. The HD, which is mostly, and always on RH7.1, sda1, will
change to sdb1 while the Zip drive, which is mostly, and always on
RH7.1, sdb4, will change to sda4.

4. The above point 3 is only consistent on FC2 if I leave the zip disk
in the zip drive. If I have the Zip disk connected but with no disk in
it then the HD is not detected at all. Inserting a disk in the Zip drive
at this stage allows me to mount it OK. If I disconnect the Zip drive
from its cable then the HD is always detected and as sda1.

To achieve a level of consistency, which I must have as the HD is my
primary backup device, I must always leave the Zip disk in the drive.
Under those circumstances the disks are detected reliably and with
consistent IDs.

The scanner, an Epson Perfection 640U, is always detected OK. It is in
position 1(4) on the USB PCI card.

I don't know if this has been encountered by anyone else or if the
problem is being worked on or even if a new kernel is available which
fixes this problem.

All in all, I am pretty happy with FC2. There was no Pine and I didn't
like mutt, it didn't handle news, very much so I built an rpm package
from the Pine source I downloaded and installed it OK. I've configured
everything else as I want it and some of the new versions of particular
applications I use a lot, e.g. Quanta, are very nice indeed. My verdict?
Well worth the time and I would recommend it to others. The upgrade was
almost painless as it itself went totally without error. The only
gotcha's were that it didn't run grub or lilo and didn't ask to create a
boot disk and didn't create an xorg.conf file although this is probably
'a good thing'. These are easily done after the upgrade.

Any advice/help will be gratefully accepted.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
If the automobile had followed the same development as the computer, a
Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per per gallon,
and explode once a year killing everyone inside. -- Robert Cringely,
InfoWorld