Re: Messed up my graphical login HELP!

A dirty way to do this:

First, from command line (text) mode, change  this file:  /etc/inittab
change to
id:3:initdefault:

So you won't start in graphic mode (change to id:5:initdefault: to restore it).

Then, type
xinit
So, you are going to have X started

Then, type startkde for KDE
Iif you want start gnome, xinit, then switchdesk, then choose GNOME, then startx... I don't remember how to do this without this.

Chris

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 16:55 -0700, Andrew Konosky wrote:
David Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 18:23, Andrew Konosky wrote:
>

>>I was installing some new graphical login screens, but on of them must
>>have been a bad download because now when I boot up, the login screen
>>gives me an error saying that the PNG image is bad. I press OK, but the
>>error doesn't go away and I can't logon graphically. I can log onto my
>>system via the command line, but I don't know what the commands are to
>>do anything. How do I reset the login screen to default via the command
>>line, or how to I launch Gnome or KDE from command line so I change go
>>back and change to my old login screen?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Andrew
>>

>Once you log in you could type startx and then change the login screen.
>David

I start my computer up, then the graphical log-in gves me the error, so
I press ctrl-alt-f5 to go to the shell prompt. When I type startx I get
an error that X is already running. So if X is already running, how do I
start gnome or KDE?

--
Christian Loza <christianl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
UNETE Telecomunicaciones Ltda.