Re: Sound questions

Hesty P escribió:

[snip]
My next step is to have all my instant messaging to
use alsa (so that I can have this multiple stream
stuff). Gaim seems to use libao, which can easily be
told to use alsa. Amsn uses play and I'm stumped with
this. How do I tell play to use alsa driver. Play only
has --device=XXX switch and no --driver. Also, is
there any other sound player except play that can use
alsa driver? It only needs to be able to play wav
file.

Yes, you can use "aplay" (or "aplayer"... I don't have a Linux box at hand right now, but that's the "official" CLI player that comes with ALSA).
I couldn't find a better way to tell Gaim to use ALSA, so I'm using that, and it's working fine. BTW, I'd like to know what approach did you use to have Gaim using ALSA, and how it is better compared to setting "custom" sound and telling it to use "aplay|aplayer %s" in the preferences.

Regards,

--
Mariano