Re: installing new Ati Radeon 7000 w? fc2

HD wrote:
I currently have a nvidia TNT2 video card installed on my system (using just the nv driver) but I'm planning to replace it with a Ati Radeon 7000. I am running Fedora Core 2. Will the new card be automatically detected? Should I make any changes to xorg.conf *before* installing the new card? Is there anything else I should be aware of before making this change?

Thanks!

I just finished building a new box for FC2 with these specs: ASUS A7V8X-X mobo ASUS ATI Radeon 7000 video card Antec Sonata case Vantec Round Cables Teac DVD/CDRW

and the FC2 installation went smoothly once I updated the BIOS (doh!). Graphics are smooth, though I would say that they are not *quite* as smooth as the graphics on my FC1 machine with a 64MB nvidia card. There is also some issue that my OpenGL screensavers are having with 'grabbing' the screen -- for instance, the Ant Spotlight isn't showing the spotlight...just the ant. Additionally, there is something fishy with the way Chromium is playing: the sound plays at a tempo that varies with the intensity of the graphics. Neither of these issues showed up with my nvidia card and FC1. TuxRacer works fine as does Celestia with the ATI Radeon 7000.

My friend who built his FC2 box at the same time used a Gigabyte mobo and Gigabyte ATI Radeon 7000 video card, and he doesn't have the two issues I described.

Sorry that I can't help about the xorg.conf changes, but with a fresh install, FC2 picks up the card easily, and I have not made any changes to the default installed driver.

HTH,
Clint