Re: Setting up ATA RAID 0 on existing installation

Andrew Konosky wrote:

I recently upgraded to a Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer hard drive, but it ended up being defective and crapped out on me after only a day. I sent it back, but the RMA process was going to take two weeks, so I went to Circuit City and bought myself another one. Well, the online store would'nt refund my first drive and I just got my replacement via FedEx a few days ago. I have already setup and installed by dual-boot system with Windows 98SE and FC2 on the second drive, and I don't want to have to reformat and reinstall everything again. Would it be possible to setup a striped RAID 0 array on my current setup, or would I have to reformat? Would I have to configure Windows and Linux each seperatley to use the RAID array, or is that independent of the OS? I don't have a RAID card yet, but getting one is no problem.

Thanks,
Andrew

With RAID 0 you're pretty much screwed since the bits are interweaved on both hard drives. You'll have to reformat.

-Matt