problem with all fedora2 update kernels, scsi, & usb

I am having an ongoing problem with all of the fedora update kernels and have run out of ideas to try. The original fedora 2 kernel (2.6.5- 1.358) runs fine. However, ANY update kernel or the 2.6.7 which I downloaded and built exhibit the same behavior.

On my systems (essentially identical except for scsi controller) [gigabyte ga7nnxp, adaptec 29160 or adaptec 2940uw, 1gb memory, root on hdc], the scsi drives are detected at boot, but as soon as the usb modules are loaded, the system cannot find /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc. and after a timeout I get thrown into the "enter root passwd to do fsck and fix the system" routine.

If I disable usb altogether on the MB I can boot any of the kernels. If I remove the two lines

	alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
	alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd

from /etc/modprobe.conf and append them to /etc/modules.conf, the systems appear to boot successfully; HOWEVER, any attempt at something like
ls -l /<scsi partition fs>

causes a scsi bus reset; multiple such attempts have caused kernel panics. Also rmmod'ing the usb modules *can* hang the system as can an attempt to remove and reload the aic7xxx module.

The systems (there are actually 4 of them) previously ran rh9 and fedora1 without any problem; also they can run the original fedora2 kernel with no problem

Running without usb on these boxen is not an option. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have about run out of ideas on this one. (I need to update the kernel to kill a sound bug which does not occur after the original kernel).

Thanks in advance,

--
William W. Austin 			   waustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Life is just a phase I'm going through... this time, anyway..."